Welcome, Friends!

My photo
Iowa, United States
A baby boomer, married, mother of 3 adult children; Teacher Librarian by profession; enjoys reading, genealogy, and spontaneous events!

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Rocky Mountain High

This is my 3rd day [of 14+ days] of being in Fort Collins, CO! I followed my sister, Tina and her family here from Iowa on Thursday. They left for a Range family wedding in Colorado Springs. I'm staying here with my daughter, Marie and her husband, Jeff. I will have to drive back to IA alone.
HOWEVER, Marie and Jeff are heading to Ireland next Tuesday for a 10 day trip with Jeff's Hall family. Yes, Ireland! I'm watching their 2 dogs - Jack and Lucy - while they are gone. I brought along my dogs, Cricket and Nattie. So, we have a mini kennel going here! Hopefully, Steve will be able to travel over here for July 4th.
Last week I spent 4 1/2 days in Keokuk, IA, with my dad, Stan Sherrill. We stayed at my mom's sister, Aunt Mary Margaret's apt in Keokuk. While there we visited with my Dad's brother and wife (Dewaine and Ruth); cousins (Bobbie C., Carla B., Louie C., Bonnie M., Billy C., & Blake C.); toured Nauvoo, IL; visited Illinois's oldest winery; went geode hunting and found some; went to the courthouse for legal documents; visited the old Grover & Blanche Sherrill home in Hamilton, IL; and visited various family gravestones in cemeteries in IL and IA. It was a very busy 4 days! It sure looks like I have been doing a lot of travelling! I guess I have! I really don't mind the driving if I can take breaks now and then. You sure get to see a wide range of gas prices - any where from $3.43 to $4.00 per gallon.


It was was very nice to see the relatives again. I don't get to visit with them as much as I'd like. It seems we are all too caught up in our lives. I discovered the grave sites of my great grandparents - George Washington Sherrill and his wife Mary Matilda Skiles at the Greenwood Cemetery in Hamilton, IL. Uncle Dewaine told us a story for when he was a young man riding the railways to look for work in the late 1930's and he played his harmonica, too! We even went to a fish fry where we could eat all the catfish or carp we wanted. Right there on the Mississippi! My Mom sure would have enjoyed the trip!





(My Dad - Billy, Bobbie, Blake & Carla - Sharon & Aunt Mary Margaret)



Until Next Time....


Theresa

No comments:

www.myfitnesspal.com

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools