Welcome, Friends!

My photo
Iowa, United States
A baby boomer, married, mother of 3 adult children; Teacher Librarian by profession; enjoys reading, genealogy, and spontaneous events!

Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July!




I hope everyone is having a great 4th of July! Tonight Steve & I, and Marie & Jeff will be guests of their friends, Sean & Sarah for supper.

Yesterday Marie, Jeff, Steve & I visited Rocky Mountain National Park. We started off from Beaver Meadow Visitor Center [elevation of 7840 ft.] and traveled up and northwest, almost to Alpine Visitor Center [an elevation of 11796 ft.] We did get to Rock Cut which is about 5 miles south of Alpine Visitor Center. DYK? - The Beaver Meadow Visitor Center was designed by the famous Frank Lloyd Wright

The roads were steep with sheer drop-offs on the sides. The park was extremely busy. We stopped at Rock Cut for lunch and pictures. It was very windy and we all put on our jackets. It even rained a little bit. We packed sandwiches, chips & salsa, veggies & dip, cookies, and bottles of water. There were restrooms there, but you had to go one-at-a-time. The toilets were like porta-potty seats but the wind could blow up them! We decided to save the Alpine visitor center for another day and turned around and headed back. And yes, there's still snow! Steve and I got some great photos!

Like I wrote, the park was full of people. We even saw a charter bus heading up toward Alpine Visitor Center. There were land rovers that seated up to 12 people too. Either way, I was glad Steve drove his truck.

Jeff told us to stay hydrated and that would help in the high elevation. Us being from low elevations have trouble, you know. Marie told me that people who drink alcoholic beverages get drunk faster if they are new to the higher elevations. You get tired faster, too. I know that when we were at Rock Cut I did get a little dizzy from the elevation.

On our way back to the M & J's house we stopped at a rock shop in Estes Park. Steve and I both got rocks and other souvenirs.


Last night we went on a haunted Fort Collins ghost tour. There were 17 in our group with 3 guides. The tour was about 1 1/2 hours long and we stopped in various places in Old Town FC. I got 8 pictures with orbs in them! There were some very enthusiastic ghosts hunters in our group! I just wanted good pics! We learned about the history of FC too. It was very interesting. I don't know that I'd go again, but I look at the buildings in a different way now and wonder. The tour company also sponsors a gourmet food tour, a wake-up coffee shop tour, and a brewery pub crawl.

Tomorrow Steve and I both leave Colorado to head home.



Until next time....


FREEDOM!


Theresa








No comments:

www.myfitnesspal.com

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools